Tuesday, October 21, 2014

attempting to art

These things I find very satisfying:
1. using up stuff or finding a new use for something
2. getting rid of crap
3. decorating a room
4. translating the image I see in my head, out through my hand and into the real world (this one is problematic and generally less successful)

This past weekend - the most glorious fall weekend I have ever seen in almost two decades living in this city - I was determined to take the entire two days off without even thinking about doing any (paid) work. Given how lazy I am, you would be surprised at how rarely this actually happens. I also was determined to use up some old particle board in the basement - along with a collection of old house paint - to make a large painting to hang in one of the bedrooms at the lake place. 

I was looking to create something woodsy, to reflect what we think is the true nature of the house. I wanted to make something that reminded me of roughly planed wood in some way. 

On Saturday, a drop dead gorgeous day, I pulled on a pair of cutoffs and a ratty old Toronto Maple Leafs tee-shirt that used to belong to the Spousal Unit and hauled the Offspring's long-abandoned Little Tykes easel out of the basement and into the backyard, along with seven or eight cans of leftover house paint and whatever wide brushes I could find that still had some malleable bristles. 

before ... wah wah wahhhh 
The spousal unit had already cut a sizeable piece of particle board for me, which I propped up on the easel and stared at in terror. Be bold, I told myself, be confident. The first few brush strokes were pretty decent - large, aggressive - but something happened as I moved the brush across the board. The broad strokes started to falter, become smaller and less assertive, until they finally petered out into little apologetic flicks of the brush. I tried to tell myself that I had created something vaguely like a winter landscape and that it was fine. But it wasn't. I kept adding paint. It got worse.

I was just going to park the botched painting in the garage and use it to store the lawnmower on, or something, but the next day was another fine fall day that you do not want to pass by. Emboldened and with nothing to lose, I covered the board with a new layer of base paint and started again. I kept my brush strokes as bold as I could, yet kept them restrained so that they ended as assertively as they had begun. I discovered that allowing two colours of paint on the brush at once (a factor of lazy cleaning more than design) gave the illusion of planed wood grain that I had been seeking, or at least a mild proximity.

I added a few touches of contrasting colour here and there and some black lines to give what I hoped would look like depth and I tried to stop before I turned the whole thing into one giant muddy brown mess.

after
I'm no artist by any stretch of the imagination, and I may never be able to paint or draw what is inside my head, but the final result of this attempt ain't too bad, in my humble opinion. I may not be able to truthfully cross point #4 off my list, but I can give it a tentative check mark for gave it a shot. And for now, that feels like success.

4 comments:

Missy said...

I really like both the before and after. I really like the use of yellow.

Barbara Bruederlin said...

You are too kind, Missy. But I am pleased you picked up on the yellow. I wanted it to give the painting some punch.

John Mutford said...

I like both as well, but I quite enjoy how alive the before is! Lots of movement in that one.

Barbara Bruederlin said...

I think the movement you see is my paint brush scurrying off the board in fear, John. But thanks for your kind words.