I did not see that coming.
I met with the director yesterday to "discuss future opportunities", fully expecting to be given a boot in the ass out the door. Instead I was told that the new emperor would be making the personnel decisions. Fair enough.
The director has commended me before on my professionalism, and when we then started a discussion about the logistics of the power transfer, I think I opened his eyes to some of the complexities of a multi-centred research group and the need to have someone to facilitate a smooth functioning of the research. I was on top of my game, I tell you.
I actually avoided talking about myself personally in the position in question, until he asked me directly what I saw my options as. When I told him that I was not committed to remaining in medicine, but was instead entertaining options in arts communications, I could see a shift in his focus. We ended the meeting with the director telling me that he was contacting the new emperor immediately and strongly recommending that he hire me to remain in my current position.
I meet with the new emperor early next week. If offered the position, I am going to demand a pay increase.
Damn I'm good.
Friday Top Five Random Thoughts Rattling Around in My Brain:
1. The robins nesting in our yard this year are trailer trash. They crap all over the place and they're butt ugly and I swear they are mentally defective. I guess that's what happens when robin cousins marry.
2. Remember when Edward Norton used to be hot? The Incredible Hulk? Please. Edward, whatever happened to Fight Club and American History X?
3. World Report on CBC radio has been broadcasting old news snippets to mark their 40th anniversary. There sure are a lot of dead CBC reporters and broadcasters.
4. The upside to this incessant coughing has been my new sexy deep voice. I can now sing along with The National pitch perfectly.
5. The giant inflated polar bear wearing sunglasses and a sumo outfit that is pimping hot tubs outside a tent on the corner of MacLeod and Heritage makes absolutely no sense.
Who's up for another list?
1. The clearing - Arab Strap
2. Reconstruction site - the Weakerthans
3. Optimistic - Radiohead
4. Do you wanna touch me - Joan Jett
5. Illegal smile - John Prine
6. Video bargainville - Moxy Fruvous
7. This velvet glove - Red Hot Chili Peppers
8. Sixties remake - Tokyo Police Club
9. I'm waiting for the man - Velvet Underground
10. Speedway - Morrissey
I hope all the random thoughts and random playlists that live inside your brain are in perfect harmony today. Make some beautiful music this weekend.