Tuesday, April 15, 2008
Fairly recently, but still too long ago to be decently responding only now, I was tagged by the lovely and talented Leazwell on a link meme, whereby you link five of your favourite sites and then tag five others to do the same. This seems to me to be a great way to discover more compelling, weird, informative or otherwise fun sites on the internetz.
Because, you know we don't spend near enough time surfing.
I find the sites I click upon the most tend to vary with the season (i.e. the Calgary Folk Music Festival site in the spring, as they gradually announce the lineup) or with events (i.e. Ticketmaster, as concerts are announced), but there are certain sites that I do access regularly and consistently:
- Stat Counter.com - okay, this is a trifle embarrassing to admit, as it makes me look like even more of a narcissistic navel-gazer than I really am, but it really is fascinating to see where the people who access my blog come from in this big crazy world, and what brought them there.
Besides my own name, "chirping power chord" and "getting rid of woodpeckers" seem to be pretty consistently used, and these make sense, but every now and then I get some perplexing gem like "mary's infamous sexy limo ride", "scoring smack in edinburgh", or "laundered fun washer fantasy me inside". You can't make this shit up.
- ChartAttack - I'm a sucker for music zines, and since ChartAttack is Canadian, it gives a better homegrown perspective than a lot of the others. Plus the writers are drop-dead sassy and often have me snorting coffee through my nose, and in Chart's real-life paper version, the editors have printed every letter I have ever sent them, thereby forever establishing them as a quality publication.
- Pitchfork - the layout is a little hard to navigate, with too many columns of links, but that's also part of the appeal - you can get completely lost in here (which is nice sometimes). Plus with the recent launch of pitchfork.tv, you can see some neato performances and videos that aren't easily available elsewhere.
- I Can Has Cheeseburger? - lolcats are cute and funny, don't judge me!
- cbc.ca - everything you need to be a Canadian - news, weather, cbc radio programs - both streamed and on podcast, weather, radio 3 for the new music, television, weather. It's your basic primer in Canadiana, really. And if you are a real CBC junkie nerd, you can listen to your favourite CBC radio program on streaming audio, while listening to another one on the radio. Awesome.
Dr Monkey von Monkerstein
Have at it, you crazy linketty linkers!