That was the voter turnout in yesterday's Alberta provincial election. And of those who bothered to vote, obviously most were complacent enough to be happy with keeping the same old shit. So we've got another four years of a majority Conservative government. Ralph Klein may not be darkening our doors any longer, but it would appear it's turning into a case of meet the new boss, same as the old boss.
And for you 59% who didn't bother to get off your asses, I had better not hear one peep out of you for the next four years. You have lost your right to complain. I, on the other hand, will be bitching vociferously the entire time.
To take our minds to happier times, sunnier places, I am stealing a meme idea that the spectacular Allison posted the other day, because it's just too much fun not to continue.
It's the Movie Quote Meme!
Here are quotations from 15 of my favourite movies. See if you can name the films from whence they were lifted. (no googling or imdbing, I'm trusting you on this). I'll post the film names as they are correctly identified.
1. It’s their place, Mac. They have a right to make of it what they can. Besides, you can’t eat scenery!
2. I’m being postmodern, before it’s fashionable. - 24 Hour Party People (Allison)
3. As Mr. Sloan always says, there is no "I" in team, but there is an "I" in pie. And there's an "I" in meat pie. Anagram of meat is team... I don't know what he was talking about. - Shaun of the Dead (Karen)
4. It's not who invented the gun, man. It's who pulls the trigger. - The Edukators (John Mutford)
5. There's two ways to look at it: Billy wants the models and limousines, while I'm happy with hookers and taxicabs.
6. What do you mean there's no government? There's always a government, they're in a bunker or a plane somewhere! - 28 Days Later (John Mutford)
7. See, to me,
8. Many girls want to be carnal with me... because I'm such a premium dancer! - Everything is Illuminated (John Mutford)
9. Oh, I just think I'm gonna barf... Well, that passed. Now I'm hungry again. - Fargo (Jim Dandy)
10. And the tiny hairs on your arm, you know when they stand up? That's them. When they get mad... it gets cold. - The Sixth Sense (Steffi)
11. He is not Judge Judy and Executioner! - Hot Fuzz (John Mutford)
12. Some hate the English. I don't. They're just wankers. We, on the other hand, are COLONIZED by wankers. Can't even find a decent culture to be colonized BY. - Trainspotting (Dr M)
13. Every time Catherine would turn on the microwave, I'd piss my pants and forget who I was for about half an hour. - National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation (Allison)
14. The backwards way can’t be better, because the backwards way is wrong.
15. Some kind of instinct. Memory, of what they used to do. This was an important place in their lives. - Dawn of the Dead (Jim Dandy)
And I'm going to tag some folks too, because I haven't pestered anyone that way for a while.
I am reaching into my popcorn bag now and withdrawing some slightly greased-stained bits of paper bearing the names: Toccata, Mel, Karen, Jim Dandy, and Beth.
My apologies if any of you aforementioned folks are of the meme-hating school, I can never remember who belongs to what. And if you didn't get your name pulled and you'd like to play, I would be chuffed senseless to read your lists. More senselesser than usual.