For some reason I thought that decades ago someone had recorded a response to Johnny Cash and June Carter Cash's song Jackson, but as I cannot find any evidence of this, maybe I just dreamed it. Or maybe I am thinking of the song itself, you know how June gives snarky responses to Johnny's statements.
Whatever the case, it got me to thinking about songs that do have sequels/responses to them. Songs like Lynard Skynard's Sweet Home Alabama as a response to Neil Young's Southern Man. They are fun to look for and compare. Here are some of my favourite examples, do give them a listen and compare:
from Belle and Sebastian:
My Wandering Days Are Over (Tigermilk - 1996)
- written when Stuart Murdoch fell in love with band-mate, Isobel Campbell
key lyrics: now the centre of my so called being / is the space between your bed and wardrobe with the louvre doors
I'm Waking Up to Us (Push Barman to Open Old Wounds - 2005)
- written when Isobel dumps Stuart and leaves the band. Ouch. The pain in Stuart's voice is palpable.
key lyrics: you're going to walk away intact / I think you never liked me anyway / you like yourself and you like men to kiss your ass / expensive clothes /please stop me there
verdict: Hell hath no fury like a songwriter scorned. Isobel, you never should have slept with that guy from Arab Strap.
Creep (Pablo Honey - 1993)
- their first single and one of the bands biggest hits
key lyrics: what the hell am I doing here / I don't belong here
My Iron Lung (The Bends - 1995)
- written as a reaction to the success of Creep, it refers to how the song simultaneously sustained and constricted the band
key lyrics: this is our new song / just like the last one / a total waste of time / my iron lung
verdict: While you should never bite the hand that feeds you, sometimes it pays off to spit on it.
from The Weakerthans:
Plea from a Cat Named Virtute (Reconstruction Site - 2003)
- Virtute tries to talk sense into her owner to stop his self-destructive ways and to believe that he is strong
Key lyrics: I swear I'm going to bit you hard and taste your tinny blood / if you don't stop the self-defeating lies you've been repeating since the day you brought me home
Virtute the Cat Explains Her Departure (Reunion Tour - 2007)
- self-explanatory title, really, Virtute explains what finally drove her to leave home
key lyrics: it had something to do with the rain / leeching loamy dirt / and the way the back-lane came alive / the half-moon whispered go
verdict: You can't blame the poor cat, the dude was just impossible to live with.
I know that I must have missed a lot of good songs and responses to them. Do fill me in. Do you have any favourites?
Or on the other hand, are there any songs that you think need a response song?