I am seriously thinking of saying yes, but of course I am torn, having been at my current job for almost nine years. You feel a considerable bit of loyalty toward people with whom you have worked for that long.
I know you have been listening to me qvetch about my job for a long time now, how the commute has become insane, how I don't love it anymore as there is nothing left for me to do blah blah blah. But for some reason those festival promoters have yet to throw bags of money at me to help them lure musicians to town and raise excitement levels amongst the populace, so I stay. But I was curious enough about the offered job to apply, obviously, and now I must decide.
So I'm doing a survey. I am forever advising people to develop pro and con lists to help them make decisions, so I guess it's time I take my own advice.
- daily commute will be reduced from 1.5-2 hours down to 14-16 minutes
- my current position has essentially run its course and there is not much left there for me to do
- parking fees would decrease by $1,500.00/year
- I want to try something new and different and cheese is always fun
- I really like this shop, I like the seminars and the tastings they hold, and their philosophy
- this job would be relatively stress-free
- quitting a job is always fun
- big salary reduction (less than half of my current salary)
- increased likelihood of working evenings and weekends
- harder to schedule events in the long-term because of possibility of shift-work
- I will miss the satisfaction of completing big projects
- won't get to play on the computer at work
- change is always stressful
What would you do?