It was four years ago today that the world lost Joe Strummer, suddenly, shockingly, and decades too early. I still can't believe he is gone. As Stiff Little Fingers so rightly sing, we won't be playing Strummerville again.
I wish I had a copy of Let's Rock Again. I notice that you can now buy it on-line, so I'll have to look into that. No doubt I will have scads of excess Christmas moolah to spend shortly.
And in an example of life imitating art, or at least computer programs acknowledging history, today's Friday random shuffle playlist was heavily weighted toward Brit-pop, Mozart and M Ward being the only deviations. Appropriately, there is even one Clash song.
Here's the Strummerville edition of the Friday random playlist:
1. A scanner darkly - Primal Scream
2. Chinese translation - M Ward
3. Subterranean homesick alien - Radiohead
4. Rock the Casbah - the Clash
5. Horn concerto in E flat - Mozart
6. Is it wicked not to care - Belle and Sebastian
7. Dialogue: mandingo cliche - Belle and Sebastian
8. Please please please let me get what I want - the Smiths
9. How come - the Pogues
10. Stretch out and wait - the Smiths
Stay off the roads and away from the malls if at all possible, you gorgeous beings, it's bat-shit crazy out there.