- Ashley, the Jian board
Yes, Ashley, I sure do know what you mean.
Cuff the Duke - can't stop listening to them now!
Okay, Okay, I know that some of you are expecting a review of the Calgary Fringe Festival (which was fantastic, I'm not trying to avoid the subject), but I just don't have my head around it tonight. I'm home tomorrow and will have time to do it justice and will tell you all about it then. Pinky swear.
But one thing that I do want to tell you about tonight was my trip to Megatunes, which is one block away from Fringe central. If you guessed that I bought the Cuff the Duke cd, you win a bag of smarties because you are so smart. Holy crap, is it ever good! I fell IN LOVE with it at the first listen, and that hardly ever happens to me.
I've seen the video for the Ballad of Poor John Henry about a million times and it's a good song, but the rest are even better. A lot of the songs have an almost trance-like quality to them at times, while at the same time they BUILD UP to a huge sound. And they are incredibly musical pieces - lots of piano and strings (Owen Pallette guests on the cd) and horns. I've been listening all day long.
But not to neglect my other precious finds:
- Show Your Bones - Yeah Yeah Yeahs (smoking! - as good as Fever to Tell)
- The Boy with the Arab Strap - the only Belle and Sebastian that I didn't own (yay! Now my life is complete)
- New and Tributes - the Futureheads (really good second cd)
- Everything Is - Neutral Milk Hotel (whenever you see any NMH, grab it, don't even think!)
- Root Down - Beastie Boys (on sale!)
I'll leave you with a taste of Cuff the Duke:
video - The Ballad of Poor John Henry
song - There Was a Time
(I challenge you not to get caught up in the chorus of "mom, dad, I'm not gay")
Upload music at Bolt.