Thursday, September 29, 2005
Only a total moron could get stuck in a parking arcade
But I did last night.
Pulled the Pathfinder with the big fucking roof rack right into a parcade and then realised I wasn't going to make it up the incline without hitting the ceiling. Backing out was not an option, not onto 8th Ave. So I did the old 26-point turn, only to find a barricade blocking my way out.
So I spent $5.00 on a goddamn ticket, and then the scanner you have to swipe to let you out said it wasn't valid. I just bought the thing 30 fucking seconds ago! I leaned on the totally useless help button and contemplated snapping the baricade but it was made of metal, not wood.
Finally a couple of other people showed up to get out and we tried their tickets, but by then I must have broken the scanner totally because theirs didn't work either. And then the lazy fucker who was supposed to be manning the help button finally answered and I got the fuck out of there.
I am the biggest loser in existence and am removing the roof rack this weekend.
A really nice homeless guy talked me through how to use my visa in the pay machine in the next (above ground) lot I tried. Because I DIDN'T HAVE ANY MONEY LEFT! He knew the idiosyncracies of that machine because he lives in the planter at the corner of the lot. He gave me lots of good advice, I gave him a tip, and we parted. If you ever run into a guy who frequents 8th Ave and 5th Street SW in Calgary, give him a hand.
They don't pay me near enough for this shit
They evacuated our building at work for 6 hours yesterday because of a hydrochloric acid/formaldehyde spill.
- chemistry quiz: hydrochloric acid + formaldehyde = chlorine gas. True or false? **
Today the Biosciences building on main campus was evacuated and cordoned off after 11 people got sick upon opening an envelope with an "unidentified powder" inside.
I'm not going to work tomorrow. (Well, I don't work on Friday anyway. But I'm still not going!)
update: Turns out if was formaldehyde and water, nowhere near as nasty, and the powder, although not yet identified, is being called harmless. How come people became sick? I dunno, mass hysteria? The chance to wear those fetching decontamination suits?